Getting behind the wheel of a car in Florida requires you to be as careful as possible. Unfortunately, car crashes occur every day due to a few common elements. Knowing what they are and avoiding them should help make you a better driver and less likely to get into an automobile accident.
Lack of attention when driving
Following the rules of the road and being observant of your surroundings are essential when driving your car. If you don’t pay attention, it can quickly lead to a car accident. One of the main reasons this occurs is due to distractions, such as:
- Engaging with a smartphone by listening to a message or sending a text
- Paying too much attention to other things that take your eyes off the road
- Listening to loud music in the vehicle or other auditory distractions
- Being impaired by sunlight glare or high beams from an oncoming vehicle
- Daydreaming or consuming your mind with other thoughts
- Eating, doing your makeup or performing other manual tasks
Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
Driving while intoxicated or high is never a good idea. Taking drugs or alcohol before driving slows down your ability to react quickly and pay attention. Taking prescription medicine is included in this category as some types can affect your senses negatively, leaving you impaired.
Another major cause of car crashes is speeding. Driving too fast can make it difficult to stop or slow down when there’s a problem in front of you. Having less time to react can be highly detrimental if you approach a road hazard too quickly.
Knowing these common elements that cause car crashes should make you a more informed driver. You’ll be safer when you’re behind the wheel and better able to avoid collisions.